I apologize if you posted this days ago. For some reason, Discourse does not send email notifications about new posts so I need to check periodically.
We’re running OpenBoxes on Azure VM instances, so I should be able to help. My assumption is that this is a firewall issue but there are several other explanations as well.
- The application failed to start (check the Tomcat catalina.out log to make sure it’s running)
- Tomcat is listening on port 8080, but 8080 is closed on Azure by default (open port
- Apache is listening on port 80 is not configured to forward requests to Tomcat properly (I’ll fix our docs and add a link to this)
- Apache SSL is not configured properly (I’ll fix our docs and a link to this)
So first thing to check is whether the application is listening on port 8080.
- From the VM instance, run the following command and post the results
- Next find the Public IP address for your VM instance
- Run the following command and post the results
If you get a response for (1) but not (2) then we probably need to open port 8080 on Azure.
NOTE: This is not recommended. We should instead install Apache or Nginx (which will listen on port 80) and forward requests to Tomcat. However, I need to fix the AJP + HTTPS documentation so let’s take this one step at a time. For now, we will temporarily open port 8080 so we can make sure the server is working properly.
If you’d like to troubleshoot live, join our Slack.