Setup on Mac m1

Hi,

We would like to use openboxes for an university project in Germany. I am trying to install the software on-premise on my Mac with the apple silicon chip m1. But i can’t find any tutorials or setup introductions for Mac.

Do you have any tipps or some solutions, how i can install it on my pc. Thank for your attention and i look forward to a feedback.

Thanks for the message. The instructions for Mac will be similar to the Ubuntu instructions. Just make sure you install Java 7 and Tomcat 7. Not sure how easy that will be on a Mac but I’m familiar with at least one developer who got it working on a Mac. Give it a shot and continue to ask questions here and we’ll try to steer you in the right direction.

Alternatively you could use docker.

Or setup a VM using Ubuntu.

Alright Thank you very much for the fast reply.

Do you have any Instructions for using in Docker? I see the GitHub repo [GitHub - openboxes/openboxes-docker: Dockerized instance of OpenBoxes] but I find it very hard to understand it, because I’m not so fit in the technical stuff. In the terminal I became an error like this:

=> ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io /library/openjdk:7-jdk

I have changed in the Dockerfile the openjdk from 7 to 18, then it shows me another error like:

=> ERROR [ 2/14] RUN curl -fsSL https://deb.nodesource.com/gpgkey/nodesource.gpg.key | apt-key add -

It is very frustrating for me, because I’m not so familiar with this kind of technical stuff.

Do you plan making a tutorial for people like me?

Apologies for the delay. I was on holiday for most of last week due to Thanksgiving.

Do you have any Instructions for using in Docker? I see the GitHub repo [GitHub - openboxes/openboxes-docker: Dockerized instance of OpenBoxes] but I find it very hard to understand it, because I’m not so fit in the technical stuff. In the terminal I became an error like this:

=> ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io /library/openjdk:7-jdk
I have changed in the Dockerfile the openjdk from 7 to 18, then it shows me another error like:

OpenBoxes is built on a web framework (Grails 1.3.9) that requires JDK 7

It is very frustrating for me, because I’m not so familiar with this kind of technical stuff.
Do you plan making a tutorial for people like me?

I’ll try to put together a tutorial video in the next few days.

Justin

Thank you very much. I am eager to see the turtorial and apologize for the inconvenience.

I should be finished with it by tonight or tomorrow.

Would you have a link for me where I could find it. Would be very nice if you could share it with me here?

Sorry I thought I had posted this the other day but it was sitting in my draft folder…

—-

Here’s the docker tutorial video.
https://watch.screencastify.com/v/hTwqrSbolBXaSgbV8eWZ

Seems my microphone was not working so there’s no audio. You can probably get a sense of what’s going on but there’s a lot of missing context so I’ll re-record when I get a chance.

I’m getting this error. Is this because of the M1 chip?

I am not a chip expert but you can try the two suggestions in this SO post.