Outbound movement created via API not visible

Hi openBoxes Team,

I created a Outbound movement via the API

curl -b cookies.txt -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"name":"TestOrderAPI","origin":"1","destination":"ff80818178bca5670178bdd388c50003","expectedShippingDate":"04/14/2021 18:46 Z","shipmentType.id":"1"}' http://192.168.178.175:8080/openboxes/api/generic/shipment

That worked well and when I query the API I’m getting back all Outbound movements that I created:

{
      "id": "ff80818178cc947b0178ccab149c0002",
      "name": "BW-LA-WP-13Apr2021-TestOutboundMOve2",
      "status": "PENDING",
      "origin": {
        "id": "1",
        "name": "Warehouse Langenargen",
        "type": "DEPOT"
      },
      "destination": {
        "id": "ff80818178bca5670178bdd388c50003",
        "name": "Wordpress",
        "type": "DEPOT"
      },
      "expectedShippingDate": "04/13/2021 19:17 Z",
      "actualShippingDate": null,
      "expectedDeliveryDate": null,
      "actualDeliveryDate": null,
      "shipmentItems": [],
      "containers": []
    } 

Then outbound movements are stored in the DB and so far it seems good, but I can’t see the Outbound movments on the UI

Hope that you can help me out.

Cheers
Stefan

Very good question, Stefan. Thank you for asking this.

So shipments are just one part of a stock movement. Inbound stock movements usually start with an order (i.e. vendor purchase order), but can also be represented by just a shipment. Outbound stock movements always start with a requisition (request from a consumer) and are picked (Picklist), packed and shipped (Shipment). Shipments are used to carry the metadata and items for the delivery of goods from a supplier to your location (inbound) or from your location to a consumer (outbound).

So to answer your question more specifically … right now you have half of the equation. The other half requires the Requisition that represents what the destination “Wordpress” actually wanted. The reason we need both a Requisition and Shipment is for demand. I don’t want to get too deep into this but as an example let’s say a downstream consumer asked for 10 EA of Product A, but you were only able to send them 5 EA of Product A. If we were only tracking Shipments then this outbound movement would only contribute 5 EA to the demand calculation and you’d be missing a key ingredient to figure out what your true demand is (i.e. what your consumers actually wanted).

You can use the Stock Movement API to create a stock movement that will show up in the UI.
https://docs.openboxes.com/en/latest/api-guide/stockMovement/

NOTE: You can still use the Generic API to modify the underlying entities, but you should be able to do everything you need with the Stock Movement API.