OpenBoxes WAR file cannot start in tomcat 7

Can you elaborate on that? Was there an installation instruction that was wrong or not specific enough? I want to make sure we fix any documentation bugs that could lead others down the same path as you.

I think the documentation is okay , though i used a Apache Tomcat/7.0.47 .

And i like the flow. Though the user needs to be told to follow the guidelines step by step

A few clarifications ,

As a first time user i need to know when and where to put the openboxes-config.properties file . It’s not obvious for me to know that i have to create a hidden .grails folder.

That’s great feedback. And I have heard the same thing from other users. In fact, I actually thought I had added that instruction to the documentation so I’ll need to review why that change is missing (i.e. it might be in a PR or another branch that hasn’t been merged yet).

1 .I also need to know all the configuration files i have to deal with i.e application and database server configs and which time.

2 . I don’t know wether this true for future versions , (I know there is alot for OB)but would suggest an automated installation process something similar done by OpenMRS . So most of the dirty work is done by a script

1 .I also need to know all the configuration files i have to deal with i.e application and database server configs and which time.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

2 . I don’t know wether this true for future versions , (I know there is alot for OB)but would suggest an automated installation process something similar done by OpenMRS . So most of the dirty work is done by a script

Who do you think I am, Daniel Kayiwa?
https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/~dkayiwa

Kidding, I’ll never be as good as Daniel.

So I’m not sure if you were referring to dkayiwa’s amazing OpenMRS Standalone …

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/OpenMRS+Standalone

… but we might not ever create an easy install tool like this because we’d rather spend our energy on deploying to cloud. However, given the disclaimer they added about it now being production-ready-ish I’ll investigate it at some point

In the meantime we can do something similar using Docker / Docker Compose. See the following repository for instructions on how to get OpenBoxes running using Docker.

I know this isn’t as easy as running a Windows Installer, but we don’t have the capacity to handle the development, troubleshooting, and support for something like OpenBoxes standalone. If someone from the community wanted to build / maintain that type of installer, we’d be thrilled.

As for installing a production-ready version of OpenBoxes on a cloud server, we have a few projects in the works.

DigitalOcean Marketplace

You can create a DigitalOcean droplet with OpenBoxes fully installed and configured straight from the DigitalOcean Marketplace.

Apparently you’ll receive $100 in credit from DigitalOcean (~5 months) by launching a droplet using the following link.

Self-Service Deployment

As part of a project that is being funded through Digital Square, we are also building infrastructure as code components that will allow us to launch a Basic (single VM) or High Availability (all services running on their own nodes) version of OpenBoxes to most hosting providers with the simple click of a button. We are starting with Azure, but hope to get everything working with AWS and GCP as well.

You can read the announcement below for more information.

By this i was not actually talking about Standalone but rather the GUI intallation process guide which appears during deployment on tomcat.

No

Ah yes, the installation wizard. I have been thinking about how we might be able to accomplish something like that. Part of the Digital Square funding is for User Onboarding which will be a step-by-step wizard for importing data and configuring specific features once the application has been installed and the database has been created.

But maybe we can take a step backwards to see if there’s an easier way to launch OpenBoxes. If I recall correctly we’d need to create a separate web app to handle the wizard workflow since it needs to be able to prompt the user for database properties (i.e. OpenBoxes can’t be launched until database properties are in place).