Multiple productcodes (barcodes)

Hi All,

Maybe a little stupid question:

I have a product that has various barcodes but it’s the same product. Somehow they change the barcode from time to time. How can I add multiple barcodes to a product so that it can be found in the search field? With a barcode scanner for example.

Thanks,
David

This is a great question. Do you know the source of these barcodes? For example, do you have your own SKU (product code) but also have barcodes from the supplier / manufacturer? Or are these other barcodes also internal SKUs?

Hej Justin,

The barcodes are printed on the packaging. And I discovered it yesterday that the supplier changed some barcodes. So now we have the same product with 2 different barcodes on the box.

Can you take a photo of the box with barcodes and send it to me?

Without knowing more, my recommendation would be to use the Product Sources and/or Product Packages feature. Whether these are currently queryable in the product lookup is not clear to me at the moment so I’ll need to investigate. But they should be so we can modify the queries to support. I just need to know: Where are you expecting to use these barcodes? Which pages / fields in particular?

Hello Justin,

See below. Problem is very simple. The barcode printed on the product changed somehow. Meaning we have now the same product with 2 different barcodes. So the question is how can I add a second barcode to the same product so that the product is found in the system by the 2 barcodes ;).

So yes, I would recommend creating a product source (a.k.a. product supplier) to capture this information.

Hello Justin,

That is what I thought, however if I do that and I search by barcode in the top bar it displays the product.

However if you click then on ENTER (or with a barcode scanner it goes automatically) it doesn’t display the product.

However if you click then on ENTER (or with a barcode scanner it goes automatically) it doesn’t display the product.

This is why I wrote the following.

Whether these are currently queryable in the product lookup is not clear to me at the moment so I’ll need to investigate.

You’ve demonstrated that the query for search involves the product supplier, but the query used to lookup a specific product so we can redirect to the stock card (on ENTER key) does not.

But they should be so we can modify the queries to support. I just need to know: Where are you expecting to use these barcodes? Which pages / fields in particular?

I wasn’t sure where you were expecting to use these lookups. But in all places where we search for a product (i.e. global search, add an item to stock movement, etc) we only do an equality search on the product code (SKU). Essentially it does the following

SELECT * 
FROM product 
WHERE product_code = '8715886022320'

What we need to do is something more like this

SELECT * 
FROM product
LEFT OUTER JOIN product_supplier ON product.id = product_supplier.product_id
WHERE product_code = '8715886022320'
OR product_supplier.supplier_code = '8715886022320'
OR product_supplier.manufacturer_code = '8715886022320'

So now I can add a ticket to work on that.

Ah yes thanks Justin!